Get Acquainted: Confessions of a Wannabe Fashionista

The first guest of Granola 2 Glam's "Get Acquainted" series is Kara "KDot" from Confessions of a Wannabe Fashionista.  I would not consider her a "wannabe" at all, rather a real-world fashionista with a great sense of every day style.




Kara's style is polished, preppy, and very fresh.  Whether she's dressed for a fancy night or cold winter day she always looks effortlessly put-together.  Thanks Kara for allowing my readers to get acquainted with you. I'm sure they will be just as hooked as I am.






 Who are you, where do you live, and what do you do?
I am KDot. I love in New Brunswick, Canada. I teach high school history and English. This year I teach grade 11.

What is your blog about and what motivated you to start a blog?
My blog is about clothes and any other random things that might be on my mind. I first discovered fashion blogs about 3 years ago. I was part of an online wedding forum and someone there posted a link to the Purse Forum. From there I discovered fashion blogs, such as J Crew Aficionada and Fabulous Florida Mommy. After a month or so of reading other fashion blogs, I decided to create my own.


What can you not leave home without?
The sentimental items I could never leave home without are my wedding and engagement rings. I feel weird wearing them around the house so I take them off when I come home.

The practical item I can never leave home without are blotting papers. I have very oily skin and have to use these twice a day so my face doesn't look like an oil slick. Luckily, if I forget to bring them with me, I have a stash in my car, purse, and work desk. 



What are your style staples?
I love cardigans, in particular J Crew's Jackie Cardigan. I own 14! I also love pencil skirts, silk blouses, pearls and a good pair of tights.


What are some of your fashion or shopping rules?  And do you follow them?
My fashion rules are 1) to buy items that I love 2)buy what fits well 3) buy what suits my style. I don't often follow that advice. I admit, sometimes I really get caught up in a good sale and buy things just because they are cheap and end up never wearing them!





What have you learned from blogging? 
I have learned to not be shy with mixing color. I remember about 3 and half years ago, I was in a store buying a dress for my cousin's fall wedding. I picked out a plain brown sheath dress but I needed to add a cardigan for warmth. I ended up not wearing the dress because I could not find a cardigan the exact shade of brown. The brown dress sat in my closet unworn for awhile because nothing it "matched" nothing. After blogging for a few months, I realized I could mix colors! I dug it out and now wear it with everything; pink, yellow, orange, purple, blue, you name it.




What are 7 things your readers may not know about you?
1. I sneeze and blow my nose . . . a lot. Gross eh! I have allergies to dust and cats (still love my kitties anyway). The discovery of Nasonex about a year ago was one of the best days of my life.

2. I am a clean/neat freak. At school, I train my students not to touch my pens or anything on my desk except my giant bottle of hand sanitizer. It's so bad, that if a student uses my pen, I never use it again. At home, I have a patient husband who puts up with my craziness about having everything in a certain place.

3. No one in my real life knows about my blogging except my husband.

4. I still don't know what I want to be when I "grow up".

5. My hiccups sounds like burps. They are truly disgusting.

6. I love to eat . . . a lot. I eat to the point I feel sick to my stomach. Many a night has been ruined by my overindulgence. My husband, RDog, is usually found at fault for this. "Why did you let me eat so much?"

7. I love to play the computer game Battlefield 1942. My favorite part is driving a tank, running over a soldier and hearing a very satisfying "thump, thump."

I think those are all my dirty secrets. I'm not sure why most of them are related to bodily functions.



What advice would you give someone that says "they have nothing to wear?"
I would tell them to invest in a good, simple black or grey dress. I have a grey short sleeved wool J Crew dress. On those days when I don't know what to wear, I pop on that dress. I can add a cardigan (every color matches grey or black) or if I'm feeling adventurous, I add a bright belt or statement necklace. It's a great way to look polished with little effort.


Thank you KDot for being Granola2Glam's first Get Acquainted guest!  I agree simple pieces like a dress or basic skirt will go a long way in a wardrobe for someone looking to get more versatility.  I also love the J.Crew Jackie cardigan, but do not own close to 14- she's got me beat!  It also took me awhile to "reveal" my blog to friends and family- so I can relate to your secret blog life.  Those that do know about it have been very supportive, but I am always hesitant because let's face it, posting pictures of yourself is a little weird.  Something only us fashion bloggers can relate to, so thanks for all the support!

Remember to check her blog and send some love her way.

Photobucket





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...